American Acryl L.P. is a joint venture owned by NA Industries, Inc.(“NAII”) and Arkema Inc. American Acryl manufactures acrylic acid at its Bayport, Texas facility for the benefit of its owners. NAII and Arkema also have manufacturing units at the Bayport facility. The three companies work closely to maintain safe and environmentally responsible operations.
At American Acryl, acrylic acid is produced by reacting propylene (a product available from nearby petroleum refineries) with oxygen in the air under tightly controlled conditions. The plant runs year-round on a 24-hour schedule. Some of the acrylic acid is consumed onsite as a feedstock for NAII and Arkema, and some is shipped to other customers. Acrylic acid is used to manufacture numerous personal care and household items, such as hand lotion, detergent, shampoo, acrylic yarn and water-based acrylic paints. Arkema owns a unit at the site that produces 2-ethylhexylacrylate (2EHA) which uses acrylic acid as the feedstock. NAII owns and operates a unit at the site that produces superabsorbent polymer (SAP) from acrylic acid. SAP is the absorbent material inside disposable diapers.
• American Acryl coordinates with other chemical companies in the area to prepare for and respond to natural disasters or accidents.
• local Bayport chemical companies work together with local area residents and businesses to provide education about our safety and environmental programs, answer questions and address concerns on a monthly basis.
• American Acryl works closely with local first responders to prepare for and respond to emergencies.
• an association of local businesses cooperate to improve emergency communications and community relations.
• Community Emergency Response Communications Committee
• Community Relations Committee
About Arkema: A global chemical company and France’s leading chemicals producer, Arkema is building the future of the chemical industry every day. Deploying a responsible, innovation-based approach, we produce state-of-the-art specialty chemicals that provide customers with practical solutions to such challenges as climate change, access to drinking water, the future of energy, fossil fuel preservation and the need for lighter materials. With operations in more than 40 countries, some 14,000 employees and 10 research centers, Arkema generates annual revenue of approximately $8.3 billion, and holds leadership positions in all its markets with a portfolio of internationally recognized brands.
About NA Industries, Inc.: NA Industries, Inc. engages in the manufacture and sale of super absorbent polymers for baby diapers, water soluble polymers for detergents, and polymers for concrete admixture. It also provides technical liaison and business development solutions. The company was founded in 1988 and was originally based in Chattanooga, Tennessee. In June 2012, NAII relocated its super absorbent polymer operation and its NAII corporate offices to the Houston area at a site next to the American Acryl plant. NA Industries, Inc. operates as a subsidiary of Nippon Shokubai Co. Ltd.